Tuesday, December 31, 2013

one little word 2014


I have made my choice for Ali's One Little Word Campaign.   

Flow

as in 'go with the flow' 
as in 'move with a continual change of place among the constituent particles'
as in 'proceed smoothly'
as in 'hang loose'
as in 'deform under stress without cracking or rupturing'  

I like these definitions.   The idea of Ali's One Little Word Campaign is to latch onto a word and let it be an inspiration, a guide, a mood, a thought, a dream and anything you want for the whole year.  

The first time I did this was back in 2008 or 2009 when my word was "me", which soon transformed into the title of this blog and became an acronym for Mommy Extraordinaire. 

In 2010, I choose "me" again, followed by the number "27" in 2011.  That went nowhere - I had a new baby and life was too crazy to even think about it and going with a number just didn't lend itself the way I thought it would. So a year later, I didn't have a word, nor did I for 2013. 

But I'm determined to revisit the One Little Word for 2014.  I have a routine now.  The boys are bigger and while life certainly is not easier, I do get more M.E. time than in years past, thanks to electronics that babysit the boys from time to time. Let's be honest! 

Why, flow? 
Because I need to manage expectations. 
I tend to work things up in my head and then cause myself worry or extra work that is completely unnecessary at home, at work and emotionally. 

Case in point, LG switching schools.  I laid awake and worried for days about the transition physically, about how in the world, we would manage two drop-offs and two pick-ups every morning and afternoon. Only to find out when the time came that it was no big deal. In the mornings, I can easily do both drop-offs because I going opposite the major travel flow and the Man usually takes one of the boys and I the other.  In the afternoon, I get to pick-up both boys easily with time to spare. No need to hurry, speed or be crazy about getting from one school to the next.  The fact is they are only a few miles apart and I have a full 20 minutes to drive it.  It really is not a big deal to physically get them two and from two different schools. 

 I need to go with the flow, look forward, be aware, but not be dramatic about things I can't control or can't change. I'm sure I'll have may share of ebb, but I'll just roll with it and flow! 

Happy Last Day of 2013. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment