Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baseball Season has begun!

Tonight we had our first official baseball game. Let me tell you it was exciting and stressful for the ole M.E. Here's the story.....
I should have known when the store emailed to say that our baseball caps which were suppose to be delivered today, weren't. So no team caps. Last minute email out to parents to bring a cap.

Then Little Guy fell asleep on the way to the ball park. Not good. At 5:15 the Man calls to let me know that he was rear-ended on his way to the park. He's not hurt, his car isn't hurt too much, but they are waiting for the police for a report. UGH! I've never coached baseball or any sport for that matter. Its our first game in a new league in a new state, I don't know what to do. I haven't been to any of the coaches meeting or taking any of the online training. I'm a little anxious at this point. Thankfully my friend Chris was there to hangout with and allowed me to be calm.

So at 5:30 I had to wake Little Guy up to get the kids and supplies up to the dug out. He was not happy. We get to the dug out, players start arriving, I have no idea what to do. Good thing, I already had the batting line and defensive position printed out for us and the other team. Little Guy is still whining/crying. We finally get the kids on the field to warm-up. Here's Buddy.

Then at 6 we had to take the field, thankfully we were up first, so it was easier to get myself together mentally. We did great. Our parents really pitched in and helped both on the field and in the dugout as the Man still hasn't arrived and Little Guy is still crying. I'm trying to keep the score book, which I've never done before, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I just write down what I observe and hopefully that will be good enough.

And let me tell you.... the Buddy is awesome!

He really hit the ball well and got several players out. I'm really proud of him and he just loves it which is the best part. This is his third year and you can defiantly tell, by his seriousness of the game. We really out scored the other team in the first 2 innings. The Man finally arrives, yeah! Little Guy is now wide awake and climbing the fence. yikes.

We wound up out scoring them 19 to 5. Our kids were so excited to have played their first game and I really think they had a blast. Their little eyes were lite up with excited when they'd score a run or come in off the field. It was so worth all the mental stress to get to see those little faces and spirits soar.
It's going to be a good season! BIG THANKS to CHRIS for the photos! I was too stressed to take pictures.

1 comment: