Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bringing Babe Home!

 We were so super happy to be bringing Babe home just one day after I was released from the hospital.  Although I have to admit I was nervous, excited and scared all at the same time.  I mean, my baby has been in NICU for a week with a collasped lung.  I was already terrified of SIDS- now even more so, but they assured M.E. that he is no more suspectable than any other baby.  Lets pray for that to be so. 
I was also really nervous, excited and anxious about nursing.  While I was still on the operating table and the Man was taking Babe to the nursery, I reminded him and everyone that I wanted to nurse as soon as possible.  Little did I know that it would be an entire week. 7 whole days before I could put my babe to the breast.  I had pumped continuously while in the hospital but the pump and I just don't click and I had a very difficult time of it.  I stressed, I cried, I prayed that this would happen for us. 
Breastfeeding is one of the most wonderful experiences of my life and I sincerely wanted this experience with this baby - with my Babe and the mere thought of it not happening was devastating to M.E.

So we arrived around 11 o'clock, the Man had to work so we were late getting to the hospital and I was thrilled that they had Babe already to go. 
After some snuggling (this is only the third time I've ever held him) I put him to the breast and he latched on immediately.  I nearly cried right then and there.  The Man could even see the relief and joy on my face.  Not that we bonded immediatley or even that he got much milk - just the fact that he was willing to try made it great.  I know its going to be tough because he's already eating 2 oz at every three hours and I definitely don't have that kind of milk supply yet. 
So the Man gave him a bottle after I nursed and snuggled for alittle bit as well, as I talked with the nurses, doctors and lactation consultant.

I really wanted him to wear the same outfit home as Buddy and LG did, but it was much too warm today, as they were both winter babies, so he came home in a cute dinosaur gown and cap.


Welcome Home Babe!  We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful post! a child really does make life beautiful, a small human being to nurture and bring up who is solely dependent on you! its very magical to me!

    ReplyDelete