Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What a Compliment

I need to tell you about supper last night. At 4:30 yesterday afternoon, I began contemplating what it was I would be nourishing my family with for supper and realizing all our meat was frozen, it would likely have to be a vegetarian supper. First I thought of all veggies, but that usually doesn't go over well, so that really only left breakfast for supper. I didn't have any breakfast meat either, ugh, so what to do.
I looked around for what I did have and that was eggs and potatoes. Ok, I could work with that, but I've never fried potatoes before only baked or mashed them, so this was going to be tricky for ole M.E., although I'd seen the Man do it several times.
I diced potatoes (cutting my thumb in the process, ugh) and then put them in my largest skillet to fry with some spices and oil. This 'largest skillet' is stainless steel, thus lacking a non-stick surface. oops. So about 20 minutes into this supper, I'm realizing I'm making a huge mess, I'm upset with myself for not thinking ahead on how the Man would have done it. But I persevere and get the potatoes soft enough to enjoy and a big batch of scrambled eggs with cheese. I also sauteed some mushrooms, onions and tomatoes as toppers.
The Man finally arrives home and sees the pan of potatoes and gives a weak smile. It looked horrible. We load up plates and have supper in silence. That's when it happened...

"well, hun, I don't think I could have cooked this supper better myself"

*gasp* *double gasp*

What I thought was a mess of a supper turned out to be pretty delish and the Man gave M.E. the best compliment ever! I do believe that's a first, as far as my cooking goes. It was a moment.

1 comment: